Creating a WordPress plugin is not as hard as it might seem. Of course creating the actual function of the plugin does take a little research and practice depending on your skill level. This particular tutorial will be simply creating a plugin that does nothing but will show up as a plugin within your WordPress plugin page. This is the very first step to creating a plugin.
1. First thing you will need to do is create a folder in your plugins directory and name it whatever you want. If you plan on distributing the plugin make sure it is unique enough that it may not conflict with another plugin that a user may add.
2. Next you will need to create a php file in your favorite editor (notepad if you don’t have an editor like Dreamweaver, Aptana, etc.)
3. Add the following php comment at the very beginning of the php file you created:
Plugin Name: My First WordPress Plugin
Plugin URI: http://www.mofiki.com
Description: A description of my first plugin so that people can see what it does.
Author: Brandon Orndorff
Author URI: http://www.mofiki.com
4. Save and upload the php file you created to your folder within your WordPress plugin directory created in step 1.
5. Login to your WordPress admin area and go look at your plugins and you will see it. From there you can go ahead and activate it and deactivate it to see it work (don’t worry nothing will happen as the plugin is empty).